Vapid Spider and the Fly

 It's been gloriously sunny with warm summertime weather lately, so I felt it was time to pull out a super linear holo, and it's been way too long since I've had a green mani.  Trawling through my stash I found something that'd been on Mount Untried for far too long.

indoor, bright CF lighting

Is Vapid Lacquer's Spider and the Fly a summer color?  Heck yes, because anything you want to wear this season is for this season.  That being said, it was released originally as part of a fall collection, and it is perfection for a warm autumnal palette... but these rainbows are all summertime.

bright direct daylight

I can't quite figure out if Spider and the Fly is an army green vs an emerald green with contrasting bronze-gold shimmer in the mix.  In either case, the end result is a deeply saturated, richer-than-velvet olive-leaning green.

window-filtered indirect daylight

The formula on this was smooth and perfect, needing 2 coats to get to complete opacity.  Despite my bottle being a "schmedium" (Vapid's term for the smaller-than-full-size bottles they used to offer), I had no troubles with the brush.  But paint careful, this spider stains cuticles like crazy.

indoor, bright CF lighting

In even moderate lighting, I got a vibrant linear flame of holographic rainbow, and in bright lighting the heart of that flame was lit in warm bronze-gold.

outdoor, bright daylight

In lower light, the holo particles gave a velvety finish, and with one layer of topcoat this had a gorgeously glassy shine.

outdoor, indirect/shady daylight

indoor, bright CF lighting

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.  This color is so right up my alley, and I utterly love it... but the weartime on this keeps it from a perfect score for me.  I had chipping on several nails within just 2 days, and visible edgewear on all of them.  Oh well, I loved it enough to just touch up the tips and keep rocking it for the rest of the week. 

Where to buy:  I really do wish Vapid would bring back some "greatest hits" colors, because surely this gem would be in there.  As it is, her releases are infrequent but tend to stay open as week-long pre-orders, so maybe put in a request for this one and cross your fingers.  Otherwise, it's blog sales & destashes to find a bottle.

~Michelle 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ILNP Masquerade & Comparison

Topcoat battle! HK Girl VS Pro-FX quick dry!

Sally Hansen Belle of the Ball