Fluid Nail Art Take 2: Sinful Colors Rebel Rebel

One of my FB nail groups has been blowing up lately with bright summery designs using foaming polishes for fluid nail art.  My 3 bottles of these special effects polish are underused, but despite the prodigious volume of nail polish in this house, I'm always hesitant to try out techniques that involve using huge quantities of polish or pouring it straight out of the bottle (!!). 

Sinful Colors Rebel Rebel
indoor, bright CF lighting
While the stamper technique to get the cells to form worked well for me last time, this round was all about watching a half dozen tutorials like this one where polish was dabbed, dripped, or poured onto a silicone nail art mat, the mat was folded, and POOF cells foam right on up.  That insta video is exactly how I did this one, including the use of a single thin coat of one of the base colors painted onto each nail for the decals to stick onto.

Sinful Colors Rebel Rebel
outdoor, bright sunlight
I also managed to get over my aversion to pouring out polish by using stuff that I'm otherwise not likely to.  There's a pretty aqua shimmer and a wine jelly/flakie in here from a brand that just doesn't wear well with my body chemistry, and there's a previously gorgeous lavender thermal that's died in a palest silvery pink color, all mixed with the deep royal blue of Sinful Colors Rebel Rebel.

Sinful Colors Rebel Rebel
outdoor, bright sunlight
Usually, I see crèmes used for fluid nail art, and I think those do indeed show off the irregular circles of the foamy cells best.  None of the polishes here are plain crème, and I think things worked out great anyway - the aqua has a heavy glassfleck type shimmer, the wine has a good scattering of ultrachrome flakes that were very subtle on the final look, and the dead thermal is providing that pretty holo flake sparkle.  In hindsight, the turquoise was too close in tone to the blue, and the overall look would have popped more with a lighter or more contrasting color, but I was still happy with this.

Sinful Colors Rebel Rebel
window-filtered bright sunlight, blurry for holo sparkle
Though I don't really see any of the blue in there, my pinky had a fantastic finely-celled look and was kinda my fave.  Except for the perfectly awesome swirls that ended up on both thumbs.  When doing stuff like this, I arrange all my decals in order of what finger they're going on before applying that thin coat of polish to get them to stick, so there's no last-minute decision making.  And yet, once things are set and topcoated, I usually decide I put the best ones on the wrong fingers.

Sinful Colors Rebel Rebel
indoor, bright CF lighting, thumb looking like A++ tie dye
I'm not so much going to rate the Sinful Colors "Hypnotic Transforming Top Coat" product line, since the usual factors like wear time and formula don't apply in the least.  While they do work as intended, I don't like the technique these were sold with, which involves brushing this product over wet nails to get the cells to happen on the nail without the use of decals.  There's loads of different techniques that work much better - play around with it and find what works for you.

Where to buy:  stalk ebay if the fluid nail art trend is up your alley, since for some reason Sinful made these LE and they're sold out.

~Michelle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ILNP Masquerade & Comparison

Topcoat battle! HK Girl VS Pro-FX quick dry!

Book Club Nails - The House in the Cerulean Sea