Lucky 13 Can I Keep You?

Glow in the dark polishes are one of my absolute fave "special effects" - they never fade out or die with age, and they amuse the heck out of my inner 3 year old when I go to bed at night with spectral light waving around on my fingertips.  

indoor, CF lighting

I grabbed Lucky 13's recent PPU offering Can I Keep You? because the sparkly effect is so much like the picturesque movie version of new-fallen snow, and I had plans to turn this into a winter scene... but then decided that might be too much of a repeat of last week's mountains & pine trees, and ended up liking the shifty glass fleck look on its own.

outdoor, afternoon sunlight

Can I Keep You is a sheer, lightly greyed-out base that I think dries down a touch darker than what's in the bottle.  It's most definitely not stark white-out white, but a far more wearable neutral.  A light dusting of scattered holo adds to that holiday-card snowfall look (and would probably be amazing as sand on a beach mani if painted over a darker nude).  It also has a lovely glass fleck microflake shimmer throughout that looks electric blue in direct light and shifts to soft pink at angles, and this pink shift makes it look even more like a skin tone neutral than plain white.

indoor, bright CF lighitng

I'm showing 3 coats here, and all 3 were needed to get to this level of ethereal not-quite opacity.  This polish is glow in the dark and additionally solar-changing, and both of those pigment types are notoriously heavy, so the base is thick to the point of nearly being gloopy.  The last time I had a thickened up GITD polish, a few drops of thinner brought it back to a perfectly workable consistency... and within a few hours ALL of the shimmer elements in it had fallen out completely to the bottom of the bottle, so I soldiered on as-is. Thin coats and a bit of patience were absolutely required to get this to work, but the end result is a very pretty shimmery glass shine.  

dark room after a brief charge with CF lighting

This polish glows like crazy after only a brief charge with CF or incandescent lighting (or, obviously, sunlight), and continued glowing for 5+ hours at night.  This is also supposed to shift to a bright sky blue in sunlight, but I did not notice any change whatsoever any of the times I was outdoors, and I wore this for a solid week.  A glance at the comments on the PPU FB group indicate this is the case for most of us that bought it - glow yes, but solar no. 

outdoor, overcast daylight

In direct lighting, and especially in bright sunlight, the blue glass fleck shimmers on the off-white background looked very much like a glowy moonstone.  The holo dust in here is more a subtle accent of sparkle, and not a flash of rainbow. 

indoor, bright CF lighting

Rating:  3 out of 5 stars.  This wore like iron on me, barely showing edgewear after more than a week.  The glow in the dark effect and the much more pretty than basic neutral are real winners.  The thick, sticky formula and dud solar effect are less so.  

Where to buy:  keep an eye out in destashes, or vote for this to make a return at PPU rewind next year.

~Michelle 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ILNP Masquerade & Comparison

Topcoat battle! HK Girl VS Pro-FX quick dry!

Sally Hansen Belle of the Ball