Baroness X Mermaid Silk - The Fifth Element

The Smithsonian Museum is currently running a 90s film festival, and while my work & life schedules didn't allow me to go check out all of the ones I was interested in seeing on the big screen again, me and a few friends were able to hit up one of my all time super faves, The Fifth Element.

Baroness X Mermaid Silk
indoor, CF lighting
I needed the perfect Diva Plavalaguna shade of blue, which I found in my stash as Baroness X Mermaid Silk.  This lovely blue somewhere between cornflower and royal has a dusting of holo and a pretty aqua contrasting shimmer.  Nicely opaque in 2 coats, it was just what I needed to start this look.

Baroness X Mermaid Silk
indoor, bright CF lighting
I picked up NerdNails plate 20, all of which is images and phrases from The Fifth Element, quite a while ago and like so many things it's sat around unused for far too long.  Well, if there was ever a time to try it out, this was obviously it.

The Fifth Element NerdNails 20
indoor, bright CF lighting
I stamped the 4 element symbols engraved on the stones using Cult Time Traveler (which worked amazingly well as a stamping polish) on both hands, with Leeloo holding her Multipass as an accent on my left hand in EdK Joana and white.  The right hand accent was of course a matching MULTIPASS!

The Fifth Element NerdNails 20
indoor, bright CF lighting
My thumbs each got individual moments from the movie:

The Fifth Element NerdNails 20

The Diva Plavalaguna on my left thumb, above, and one of the most hilarious moments from an infinitely quotable movie on my right, below.

The Fifth Element NerdNails 20

NerdNails plates are acrylic rather than the typical stainless steel.  I had no trouble using this one, though it was deeply etched enough to need a good scrubbing with my usual felt pads to really clean things out.  Some plastic plates melt when acetone is used to clean them, and the maker recommends acetone-free remover, but I didn't notice any issues using acetone on this plate.

Baroness X Mermaid Silk - The Fifth Element - NerdNails 20
bright afternoon sunlight
The movie was fantastic, gorgeous in all its scratchy original 35mm glory (glommed together from at least 4 separate prints according to my film nerd partner), and I had a smashing great time.

Where to buy:  Mermaid Silk was a monthly release from quite a while ago, so this color would need to be searched for in blog sales & destashes.  NerdNails plates are available directly from her web store.

~Michelle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ILNP Masquerade & Comparison

Topcoat battle! HK Girl VS Pro-FX quick dry!

Sally Hansen Belle of the Ball