Femme Fatale Cote d' Opale and First Day of Spring Cherry Blossoms

Sweet Baby Octopus, the weather has been utterly bizarre on the east coast this year!  Spikes up into the gloriously sunny 70s, then another frozen snap.  The poor buds trying to bloom don't know what to do.  Fortunately, having things bloom on my nails to greet the technical start of spring is much more straightforward.

Femme Fatale Cote d' Opale
indoor, bright CF lighting
Femme Fatale released Cote d' Opale (The Opal Coast) as part of her 2016 blogger collaboration with Very Emily (whose swatches I miss a whole lot).  It's a soft, pale blue somewhere between winter sky and barely turquoise, liberally dusted with a bright coppery red shimmer that shifts to bronze at angles, plus scattered iridescent flakes.  My pics show this a little lighter than official swatches, so there's a possibility it's faded a little, but what's on my nails exactly matches the swatch stick I made when I bought it.

Femme Fatale Cote d' Opale
indoor, bright CF lighting
Cote d' Opale had a very nice Goldilocks formula - neither too thick or thin - and is still a little sheer here at 2 coats.  If you like these ethereally sheer shades, it wears pretty like that, but would have been fully opaque with one more.  Since I knew a lot of it would be covered by stamping and I wanted it to look like soft sky, I left it as-is.

Femme Fatale Cote d' Opale with cherry blossom stamping
outdoor, bright afternoon sunlight
I made decals for the cherry blossoms using Creative Shop 88, which is full of Asian-themed designs from a thai buddha to a chinese lion dance.  As with all CS plates, I had absolutely no trouble picking up any part of the design - these plates are always flawlessly etched and very easy to use no matter how fine the detail gets (note the tiny lines at the centers of the flowers).  The pair of luna moths are from ZJoy-028, a plate of butterfly & bird spring-themed designs.  Most all lines on this plate are very fine with a lot of detail, and though it feels more shallowly etched than the CS plate as you run your fingertips across both, I had no issues with this one, either.  All images were stamped in NanaCoco Love Black onto a dry layer of Wet n Wild Clear Nail Protector on my silicone mat, then filled in with Emily de Molly dark pink for the flowers and green for the moths.  I stick decals on by applying a thin layer of sticky base coat, then topcoating the whole nail once I've smoothed the decal completely into place.

Femme Fatale Cote d' Opale with cherry blossom stamping
outdoor, bright afternoon sunlight
Rating:  Cote d' Opale is 4 out of 5 stars for it's beautiful shimmer and flakes.  I absolutely loved the glowing flash peeking out from around the stamping design.  This polish wore very well for me, with only minimal edgewear after several days.

Where to buy:  as with most Femme Fatale polishes, Cote d' Opale was offered for a few sales windows, then retired.  Browse her list of international stockists to see if a stray bottle remains, or else keep an eye out for blog sales & destashes.

~Michelle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ILNP Masquerade & Comparison

Topcoat battle! HK Girl VS Pro-FX quick dry!

Sally Hansen Belle of the Ball