Book Club Nails: Educated

Nail art inspired by the book is absolutely a thing for me now with my book clubs (because yes, I'm such a huge book nerd I have not one but TWO book clubs).  I'm having loads of fun seeing what stamping plates I can layer & combine to bring out a theme, and I'm revisiting a lot in my stash doing these.

Book Club Nails:  Educated

My inspiration comes straight from the punchy graphic on the book cover of Educated, by Tara Westover:

copyright of course to Random House
The rough-hewn pencil containing the image of mountains is instantly recognizable and evocative of what's in the pages within - an A+ job by cover artist Patrik Svensson.  Since the image of the woman climbing the mountains would be beyond tiny on a single fingernail, I decided to split out the two elements to pencil and mountain.

Book Club Nails:  Educated

I started with my existing mani of SOPI Frankly I Don't Give A-dam + Ethereal Lacquer Grímnismál, since the smoky grey felt like it matched the book's tone.  The inexpensive workhorse plate ZJoy-014 had everything I needed to make decals of the pencil image.  The large triangle shape near the watermark in the above pic formed the base shape first in yellow and then a tip in black.  Individual stripes with intentionally raggedy edges were layered to complete the rough look of the pencil.  Trees from ZZ Forest 2 layered to give the look of rising levels up the mountain.

Book Club Nails:  Educated

I love it when a plan comes together!

~Michelle

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ILNP Masquerade & Comparison

Topcoat battle! HK Girl VS Pro-FX quick dry!

Sally Hansen Belle of the Ball